Amendments requested by the consortium
If there are any changes to the Grant Agreement (e.g. data or options specific to that agreement) or its annexes, they must be done through a formal amendment directly in the Portal (electronic signature).
Where? Access to the Grant Management System is available through My Projects > Actions > Manage Project > Launch new interaction with the EU > Request for Amendment .
Who? Amendments can be prepared by the consortium participants together, but only the Coordinator can launch, sign and submit them.
The EU Granting Authority can also propose amendments, but for practical reasons we will often as you to initiate the procedure.
When? Amendments must normally be done before the end of the project, but some amendment clauses are also open afterwards (addition of Beneficiary/Affiliated Entity/Associated Partner, change of Coordinator, change of Annex 1, change of Annex 2, change of bank account, error amendments, etc.)
What? Cases requiring a formal amendment are listed in the AGA — Annotated Grant Agreement, art 39. See also Amendment types in the Grant Management tool for Consortium-requested amendments in the .
Amendments are normally NOT necessary for:
- budget transfers covered by the budget flexibility
- name or address changes of a participant — done directly in the Participant Register
- universal takeovers (merger/acquisition) of a participant — done directly in the Participant Register
- changes of the banking details — done directly in the Participant Register.
The signed amendment is the legal document containing the changes to the Grant Agreement. It is legally binding and will be incorporated into the Agreement. The consolidated version is only for information.
Get ready > Launch amendment > Amendment preparation > Consult Commission > Sign&Submit > Assessment > Countersign
The amendment request consists of:
- updated structured information on the Grant Management System screens
- amendment request letter: the letter with the request and reasons for the amendment
- amendment core (including new version of GA Annexes 1 and 2, if needed): the legal document with the list of amendment clauses
- supporting documents: documents uploaded by the consortium, consolidated Grant Agreement, etc.
All participants can contribute to the amendment, but it is the Coordinator who will have to launch, finalise, submit and sign the request.
Tasks of the Coordinator:
- Check that the updated information Grant Management System screens is correct.
- Quality check: Check that the Amendment documents are correct and all supporting documents attached.
Actions to be completed before amendment
Submitting an amendment
Amendments must be prepared in the Portal Grant Management System.
Details are explained in the .
Entry into force & taking effect
An amendment proposed by a consortium enters into force on the day the Granting Authority signs it.
It takes effect (i.e. the changes to the Grant Agreement start to apply) either:
- on a specific date specified in the amendment or
- on the date of entry into force (last signature = signature by the EU).
Depending on the nature of the amendment, the date on which it takes effect may affect the eligibility of costs (e.g. if a Beneficiary is added, costs are eligible from the accession date specified in the Accession Form).
Coordinator change without their agreement
If the Coordinator is to be replaced without their agreement, another Beneficiary (acting on behalf of the other Beneficiaries in the consortium) must submit the amendment request.
To do this, you will need to contact the EU Project Officer, so that they can give you (exceptional) PCoCo access rights in the system.
Please note you will have to provide proof both of the consortium decision to change the Coordinator, to nominate you to act on their behalf AND the opinion of the changed Coordinator (or at least proof that the opinion was requested) — otherwise the termination will be considered improper.
Amendments initiated by the Granting Authority
If the Granting Authority requests an amendment, the request is also prepared and signed electronically in the Portal Grant Management System.
You will receive an e-mail notification prompting you to accept the request.
To do so, the Coordinator's PLSIGN must countersign the amendment on the consortium's behalf.
Amendment types in the Grant Management tool for Commission-initiated amendments