The EU services managing grants and tenders frequently make use of different types of independent experts to assist them with the implementation, evaluation and monitoring of their funding programmes. These include:
- Ethics evaluators
- Ethics monitors
- Business coaches
As an expert you perform this work as an independent individual and do NOT represent a company or organisation.
The EU services recruit experts from the Portal Expert Database, where you can register at any time. Registration is open to experts of any nationality including those outside of the EU and Associated Countries.
To find out exactly what type of knowledge and skills we are looking for, see call for expression of interest.
Working as an expert in short:
- Place of work: All or part of the evaluation and monitoring may be carried out at your home or place of work (remote evaluation), or at the offices of the service concerned (usually Brussels or Luxembourg), depending on the type of work to be done. Project review sessions and audits, involving project representatives, may take place either at the service's offices or on the Beneficiaries' premises.
- Conflicts of interest: You will NOT be appointed for proposals or projects if you have a vested interest that could influence the way you evaluate them. For more detail, please see the section on Contracting and payments and the Model Contract for Experts .
- Confidentiality: If you are going to be handling classified information, you will need security clearance before you can sign a contract.
- Remuneration: As an expert, you will normally receive EUR 450 for each full day worked. However for remote evaluation and ethics review, we have developed a new simplified methodology to calculate the amounts, please see details in the contracting & payment section. Your travel and subsistence costs will be refunded.
- Amount of work: Projects are usually monitored and evaluated in sessions lasting 15 days a year at most. The number of proposals you assess will largely depend on the area concerned. An independent expert may normally earn up EUR 90 000 in a four calendar year period (counting fees only and at the current rate this equals 200 days).
In depth - working as an expert: