To pay tribute to the beauty and richness of the world's oceans, World Ocean Day was created nearly 30 years ago to mobilise and unite people around the world fora more sustainable ocean.
This year, say STOP to the waste washed up or abandoned on the beaches!
#MakeWaves is a global action to collect waste on beaches, to raise awareness on the devastating impacts of this pollution. Initiated by Nausicaa, National Sea Center and The SeaCleaners, this initiative is part of the United Nations Decade of Ocean Sciences for Sustainable Development.
Join the movement for the Oceans, make your voice heard and create the wave of change with #MakeWaves
Why participate in #MakeWaves?
• To protect the oceans and marine biodiversity, by preventing this waste from being blown back into the sea by winds and tides, where it kills 1.5 million marine animals each year through ingestion or suffocation.
• To be part of the solution, by becoming a committed actor in the de-pollution and preservation of our natural spaces
• To spread awareness, by encouraging people around you to act and participate in your action
• To be a witness on the field of the omnipresence of pollution that surrounds us in our daily environment
Through a worldwide action of collecting waste on the beaches, let's unite our energies to make people understand that the best waste is the one we do not produce.
Each of us can limit our waste production at the source and participate in a better management of land waste... because 80% of the waste found in the Ocean comes from land... 100% is of human origin... an abandoned waste will take tens or even hundreds of years to degrade and disappear. A plastic bag or a cigarette butt, consumed in a few minutes and left in nature, will take over 450 years to disappear.
How to participate in #MakeWaves for World Ocean Day 2021?
• Choose a date close to World Ocean Day (June 8th) and a collection point near you
• Publicise your action and invite your family, friends, neighbours... to take part in your beach clean-up, by communicating on social networks with the banners and visuals that you can download here
• Get equipped for a safe beach-clean-up
• Go for a litter pick-up session
• Weigh your litter and take a photo of yourself, displaying the official #MakeWaves sign
• Make your voice heard by posting your photos on social media with #WorldOceansDay and #MakeWaves and tagging and @theseacleaners and Nausicaa (@NausicaaCNM on Facebook, @PlaneteNAUSICAA on Instagram & Twitter)
Create the wave of change!