The EU4Ocean Platform is one of the three key components of the EU4Ocean coalition (for other components, see Youth4Ocean Forum and Network of European Blue Schools).
The EU4Ocean Platform will be a focal point for organizations and initiatives to connect, collaborate and mobilize efforts on ocean literacy. The EU4Ocean Platform will offer a dynamic topic-oriented working environment that stimulates collaboration, exchange of practices and dialogue across the many different target groups leading to the creation of new ocean literacy partnerships and innovative actions, co-designed by organizations and youth.
The EU4Ocean Platform objectives are:
- Consolidate and build on existing initiatives in ocean literacy spanning different stakeholder sectors;
- Connect disparate and diverse stakeholders acting in ocean literacy to form an inclusive ocean literacy community network that stimulates an environment of concrete actions and commitments to create an ‘ocean-literate generation’;
- Jointly identify in topic-oriented groups best opportunities in ocean literacy activities that can be scaled up to larger campaigns to raise awareness in wider society;
- Ensure the Youth are an integral and active part of ocean literacy activities;
- Act as a focal point for the European Ocean Literacy community for the preparatory planning to the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development, and in particular its ocean literacy components; and
- Build momentum for EU4Ocean to ensure growth and spreading of the initiative beyond the project lifetime.
The aim is to build a EU4Ocean Platform composed of a wide diversity of stakeholder groups that will together drive the innovation and longevity of Platform activities. This will build on existing activities projects and wider initiatives. The initial focus of EU4Ocean Platform membership will be on ocean literacy practitioners and wider organisations that already support ocean literacy initiatives. A driving philosophy of the EU4Ocean Platform is to diversify the members to mobilise stakeholders beyond the traditional marine/maritime communities, expanding the engagement to other domains, disciplines and sectors.
What does the EU4Ocean Platform offer to members?
- Gaining visibility, added value and impact for existing activities;
- Increased connection between existing activities, towards a EU movement and narrative;
- Contributing to the central focal point for collaborative dialogue and action in Ocean Literacy in Europe, the EU4Ocean coalition;
- Working with other organisations and individuals and mutual learning around topics, including food from the ocean, climate and the ocean, and a healthy and clean ocean.
- Pooling and adding value to resources for scaling up ocean literacy activities into campaigns;
- Forming new partnerships, creating innovation and exploring diverse funding opportunities;
- Directly engaging with youth and young leaders e.g. the Youth4Ocean Forum;
- Contributing to the growing European movement in ocean literacy, as a contribution to international efforts and agendas e.g. UN 2030 Agenda.
The EU4Ocean Platform members will work in Working Groups (WGs) to focus on particular themes/topics, including: Climate and Ocean, Food from the Ocean and Healthy and Clean Ocean. Further information on the Working Groups are available here.
Terms of Reference
A full Terms of Reference is available to read more about the EU4Ocean Platform, the key activities including thematic Working Groups, engagement at sea-basin level and interaction with the Youth and Schools components of the EU4Ocean coalition. The document is available on this page.
Become a member of the EU4Ocean Platform
Interested in learning more about the EU4Ocean Platform? Further information including the possibility to apply for membership are available here.