Maritime Forum

Minutes of the 9th EMODnet Steering Committee (SC) Meeting

Published on: Wed, 16/05/2018 - 21:05
Table of Contents

    Date and time: From 14:00 on Wednesday 21 March until 17:30 on Friday 23 March 2018

    Location: Club Pollentia, Alcudia, Mallorca

    Meeting Chairs: Phil Weaver (Seascape Consultants UK)

    Go to Meeting Agenda, Documents and Presentations

     

    List of Actions

    Action

    Description

    Deadline

    Who?

    Action 1

    Increase efforts to engage with businesses as data users and providers and report on achievements

    Next SC

    Thematic lots

    Action 2

    Increase the use of DOIs for EMODnet products 

    Next SC

    Thematic lots

    Action 3

    Invite representatives from Regional Sea Conventions (RSC)/ICES as well as ROOSs in a future high-level EMODnet-MSFD meeting.

    Next SC

    Secretariat

    Action 4

    Draft a document summarising the current Data Policies used by the thematic lots and consider an overarching single EMODnet one

    Next SC

    Secretariat

    Action 5

    Ask for feedback to the Marine Knowledge Expert Group to develop a more fit for purpose Query tool

    Next Expert Group meeting in June 2018

    Secretariat & DG MARE

    Action 6

    Adapt the current Catalogue in the Central Portal in a way that browsing by EMODnet themes is easier

    Next SC

    VLIZ

    Action 7

    Liaise with the Marine ID team at Ifremer to get more information about the use of Marine ID to access EMODnet services

    Before Summer 2018

    Secretariat

    Action 8

    Ensure that information about the purpose of downloading is collected from users.

    Before Summer 2018

    Thematic lots

    Action 9

    Implement changes to conform with the Visual Identity Guidelines as much as possible. Consult the SEO document prepared by Trust-IT and follow the suggestions where it is possible to increase portals' visibility.

    Next SC

    Thematic lots

    Action 10

    Develop proposal to present EMODnet maps in a uniform way in printed and online papers (where to put the EMODnet logo, the scale bar, which size, etc.).

    Before Summer 2018

    Trust-IT

    Action 11

    Contact BirdLife to see if there is an interest in providing data to EMODnet Biology.

    As soon as possible

    DG MARE & EMODnet Biology

    Action 12

    Investigate relevance and impact of EMODnet and EMODnet Chemistry to achieve SDG 14

    As soon as possible

    DG MARE & EMODnet Chemistry

    Action 13

    Improve the flow of information between the thematic lots and the Secretariat via direct communication about events, use cases, new features, new products, achievements, etc.

    As soon as possible

    Secretariat & Thematic lots

    Action 14

    Validate the Portfolio of data products, data coverage and data services proposed by the Secretariat

    April 2018

    Thematic lots

    Action 15

    Set a meeting about INSPIRE compliance between EMODnet Human Activities and EEA/DG ENV

    April 2018

    DG MARE

    Action 16

    Draft a joint paper describing the main outputs of the Checkpoints

    Next SC

    Secretariat

    Action 17

    Participate and disseminate information about the EOOS Conference

    As soon as possible

    Thematic lots

    Action 18

    Ensure that EOOS develops fully aligned with EMODnet as its data management component

    Before Summer 2018

    Secretariat

    Action 19

    Provide feedback and assist in identification of speakers for the EOOS Conference

    continuous 

    Secretariat

     

     

    List of participants

    Thematic lots

    EMODnet Project

    Name (Institution)

    Data Ingestion

    Dick Schaap

    Lot 0 – High Resolution Seabed Mapping/Bathymetry

    Thierry Schmitt (SHOM), Dick Schaap (MARIS)

    Lot 1 – Geology

    Henry Vallius (GTK), Ulla Alanen (GTU), Henrik KNudsen (GEUS)

    Lot 2 – Seabed Habitats

    Elly Hill (JNCC)

    Lot 3 – Physics

    Antonio Novellino (ETT), Dick Shaap (MARIS)

    Lot 4 – Chemistry

    Alessandra Giorgetti (OGS), Dick Schaap (MARIS)

    Lot 5 – Biology

    Simon Claus (VLIZ)

    Lot 6 - Human Activities

    Alessandro Pititto (COGEA), Anna Kęsicka (COGEA)

    Central Portal

    Paula Oset Garcia (VLIZ)

     

    Checkpoints

    EMODnet Project

     

    Name (Institution)

    Arctic

    Eline van Onselen (Arcadis), Belinda Kater (Arcadis)

    Atlantic

    Jacques Populus (Ifremer)

    Baltic

    June She (DMI)

    Black Sea

    Atanas Palazov (IO-BAS)

     

    Other participants

    Name

     

     

    Institution

    Charlotte Herman

    European Commission DG MARE

    Iain Shepherd

    European Commission DG MARE

    Anja Detant

    European Commission EASME

    Greta Borg

    European Commission EASME

    Sara Garavelli

    TRUST-IT Services

    Alessio Corongiu

    TRUST-IT Services

    Jan-Bart Calewaert

    EMODnet Secretariat

    Belén Martín Míguez

    EMODnet Secretariat

    Andrée-Anne Marsan

    EMODnet Secretariat

    Pascal Derycke

    EMODnet Secretariat

    Phil Weaver Seascape (Chair)

     

    Draft Minutes

    Day 1 – Wednesday 21 March 14:00-18:00

    Agenda item 1: Welcome and adoption of the meeting agenda – Phil Weaver

    Phil Weaver welcomed the Steering Committee (SC) members. The participants presented themselves shortly. The meeting agenda was adopted with minor adjustments, with agenda items 4, 7 & 8 being moved at the end of the meeting on Wednesday 21 March and with the addition of a presentation about the European Atlas of the Seas.

    Agenda Item 2: Updates from DG MARE – Charlotte Herman

    Charlotte Herman emphasised that one of the main priorities for DG MARE is that data services such as EMODnet support sustainable blue growth. There is a strong will to make sure EU that marine data programmes (EMODnet, CMEMS, fishery data providers) work in closer collaboration. A Marine Knowledge Expert Group (MKEG) was established with the aim to better meet the needs and engage the business community. Its main tasks are to:

    • Advise the Commission on data needs and how to create more value from the data resources and services made available;
    • Identify how the Commission can better meet the needs of industry in terms of data provision, data products and services;
    • Find ways to encourage businesses to provide their data to EMODnet for re-use by others;
    • Identify common challenges, solutions and best practices.

    A first meeting of the MKEG took place in January 2018. Many of the experts were not aware of the wealth of data available via EMODnet and on how marine data services can contribute to their work. DGMARE is working on a list of follow-up actions and activities to undertake. A second meeting will be held before summer 2018.

    The priorities for EMODnet in Phase III are to:

    • Strengthen the links with the private sector as data users and providers (e.g. fisheries);
    • Ingest more data from private companies;
    • Improve coherence between the portals & other programs (e.g. INSPIRE, MSFD, CMEMS, RSC, fisheries);
    • Increase the performance of EMODnet products and services and make sure they are fit for purpose (EMODnet should become a recognised industry standard).
    • Show the relevance of EMODnet to authorities through use cases, cost-benefit analysis, non-economic value assessments, etc.

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • To secure a decent budget for EMODnet in the future, arguments and evidences of the usability of the network will need to be strong. EMODnet needs to be closer to the market, sustain blue growth and assess its value in quantitative terms (how much it helps productivity, increases innovation and reduces uncertainties). It is therefore essential to collect more use cases for business communities and a mainstream approach to engage them.
    • The impact of Marine Knowledge initiatives, including EMODnet, will be evaluated by the firm Deloitte from May 2018 onwards. The evaluation should be finished by the end of 2018. This will include stakeholder consultations & interviews with most coordinators.
    • The Marine Knowledge Expert group is composed mostly of private companies, sector associations and research institutes with a balance of all industries: offshore energy, aquaculture, intermediate companies, etc. The list of participants & the minutes of the first meeting are available from on the Maritime Forum.
    • There was an MSP expert group meeting last week and EASME invited Alessandro Petitto. The group was interested in getting to know EMODnet and what we are doing or could do for MSP. The group could be involved in the development of the portals.

    ACTION 1: Increase efforts to engage with businesses as data users and providers and report on achievements (thematic lots; next SC meeting)

     

    Agenda Item 3: Updates from EASME – Anja Detant

    EASME presented an overview of EMODnet contracts, tasks and reporting.

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • Future of the Checkpoints: The methodology is interesting and there are demands from external projects/organisations to use it for their own fitness for purpose assessment. To keep the portals and checkpoint expertise alive, the Secretariat recommends funding a light checkpoint network activity 2019 until 2021. Such an activity bring together the coordinating organisations of the six projects in one project to (i) keep the portals alive; (ii) travel to internal meetings to improve the methodology and assist in the Steering Committee Meetings; (iii) provide expertise and support to DG MARE on technical data assessment issues; (iv) travel to external meetings and conferences to promote the EMODnet checkpoint approach; (v) provide feedback and guidance to external experts/organisations who want to implement the metholdology or use the results.
    • All agreed that discontinuity of the EMODnet services would be problematic for both public and private users as the market is speeding up and companies are building products on EMODnet data, products and services.
    • All portals should be aware of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) regarding collecting and processing personal data which enters into force on 25 May 2018.

    Agenda Item 5: Status update of the list of actions from the previous meeting – Jan-Bart Calewaert

    Jan-Bart Calewaert reviewed the actions from the previous meeting that are still ongoing (in italics):

    Previous meeting Action 2:  The Secretariat will produce a short report drawing together best practice in assigning DOIs.

    The Secretariat encourages all the Portals to assign DOIs to their products and explore different possibilities:

    1. Members of the consortium could do it for them (e.g. VLIZ).
    2. Data publishing repositories (e.g. Zenodo, Pangaea, Seanoe) can assign DOIs for free but they keep a copy of the data products.

    ACTION 2: Increase the use of DOIs for EMODnet products. (thematic lots; next SC meeting)

    Previous meeting Action 3: Invite representatives from Regional Sea Conventions (RSC)/ICES as well as ROOSs in future high-level EMODnet-MSFD meeting.

    There is a request for another coordination EMODnet-MSFD meeting to bring together at the regional level those monitoring and collecting data, which work isolated from RSC conventions. The idea is to see how it could be better organised, with a meeting back to back to the Technical Working Group in September or October 2018.

    ACTION 3: Invite representatives from Regional Sea Conventions (RSC)/ICES as well as ROOSs in a future high-level EMODnet-MSFD meeting (Secretariat; next SC meeting)

    Previous Meeting Action 6: Draft a document summarising the current Data Policies used by the thematic lots and consider an overarching single EMODnet one.

    This action is still pending and will be reviewed during the next Steering Committee meeting in November 2018.

    ACTION 4: Draft a document summarising the current Data Policies used by the thematic lots and consider an overarching single EMODnet one meeting (Secretariat; next SC meeting)

    Previous Meeting Action 10: Thematic Portals to agree in advance with the Central Portal and to inform the Central Portal about changes to the provided web services

    The Secretariat still invites the Thematic Portals to inform the Central Portal (Paula Oset García) about changes to the provided web services. The Central Portal should reactivate the dialogue with the group of developers.  

    Agenda Item 6: Updates from the Secretariat – Jan-Bart Calewaert

    Jan-Bart Calewaert presented the different work packages of the Secretariat and the changes in the team:

    • New staffs: Selene Alvarez Peña (Junior Science Officer), Nathalie Tonné (Intern) and Andrée-Anne Marsan (Communication and Coordination Officer).
    • Change of responsibilities: Oonagh McMeel will remain Seascape staff but will be more involved in specific projects. She may occasional support EMODnet Secretariat work when needed.
    • Departure of Belén Martín Míguez at the end of April 2018 after 3 years working at EMODnet.
    • Pascal Derycke (Technical Coordinator) and Jan-Bart Calewaert (Head).

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • Same as for all EMODnet activities, there is no guarantee that the Secretariat will stay after 2020.  

    Agenda Item 4: Report from the Technical Working Group – Pascal Derycke & Paula Oset García

    Pascal Derycke presented the lessons learned and main outcomes of the Open Sea Lab Hackathon:

    • Portals: The hackathon pointed to weaknesses in terms of coherence between the Portals and the interoperability & accessibility to data and products. There is a need to create harmonised documents about data access at different levels for general users. One of the outcomes of the Technical Working Group is to create a plan with clear actions and timeline.
    • Central Portal & Data Services: There is a need to provide tools to access and query data products from different themes (e.g. Geo viewer, data catalogue, query tool). An action plan with clear targets on how to develop these services will be created by the Central Portal team.

    Paula Oset García presented the developments of the Central Portal in relation to the data services: Product Catalogue, Geo Viewer 2.0, Query tool 2.0 and web services documentation.

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • The Secretariat & VLIZ need to define what users need and want from the Query tool and present use cases to see how it could serve the users, especially industries. A user panel can help us to make the case and then come up with a technical solution. At the moment, the Query tool is not for an expert use of the data because it gives general information. An operational Query tool should be available by the end of 2018.
    • DG MARE would like to make use of the Expert group to gather input and identify their needs in order to develop a more fit for purpose and user-friendly Query tool.

    ACTION 5: Ask for feedback to the Marine Knowledge Expert Group to develop a more fit for purpose Query tool (Secretariat & DGMARE; next Expert Group Meeting in June)

    ACTION 6: Adapt the current Catalogue in the Central portal in a way that browsing by EMODnet themes is easier (VLIZ; next SC Meeting)

    Agenda Item 7: EMODnet Progress Monitoring – Alessio Corongiu

    Alessio Corongui presented the new monitoring progress indicators and the next steps. The new procedure will be adopted by the Portals in April 2018 for the new quarterly report.

    There are inconsistencies among the Portals on how to collect information from the users. We need to agree on which data we want to collect and determine a common procedure to collect the data (Marine ID or user form).

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • The information on how users will use the data or the products they want to download (Purpose of download) is crucial. Thematic lots need to ensure that this user information is collected. The form included in “7_EMODnet_Monitoring_Workflow.pdf” can be used as a reference.
    • The advantages of the Marine ID:
    • More user-friendly: The user only registers once.
    • More reliable: Not possible to fill compulsory fields with fake information
    • The drawbacks of the Marine ID:
    • The user needs to provide more information to register the first time and this can discourage them.
    • It provides no information about how the data is being used. The extra info about the use of the data and products is important. Just the Marine ID without the follow-up is useless.

     

    ACTION 7: Liaise with the Marine ID team at Ifremer to get more information about this option (Secretariat; before summer 2018)

    ACTION 8: Ensure that information about the purpose of downloading is collected from users (Thematic lots; before summer 2018)

    Agenda Item 8: Towards a better EMODnet visual identity and Search Engine Optimisation – Sara Garavelli & Alessio Corongiu

    The visual guideline with the templates will be approved by EASME soon. Trust-IT will then share it with the Portals in the internal area. All the Portals should be compliant with the Visual Identity Guidelines and Trust-IT will assess it regularly (indicator 7.2).

    Trust-IT is working on Search Engine Optimisation. Some actions have already been implemented and Trust-IT has done an assessment for each Portal. It is not easy to identify the right keywords and competitors; each Portal should help Trust-IT and the Secretariat to set the keywords that are more relevant to their proper field. Every three months, Trust-IT will assess all the Portals and provide a ranking and recommendations as a reference to see the evolution. It is a long-term strategy.

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • The Technical Working Group raised the issues about the keywords through the web services. The portals know the problem and they will improve the metadata to fix it.
    • EMODnet Human Activities implemented a SEO strategy. From their experience, the content and keywords are fundamental: blog posts, share content via social media, think of new words that people might use to reach your portal, etc. This needs to be reassessed continuously.
    • Examples of small actions to implement :
      1. Targeted communication & outreach activities on web & social media will help generating mentions.
      2. Link building can be easily implemented (e.g. all the organisations involved in EMODnet use cases could be asked to post on their official websites a link to the Portals).
      3. Implementing a dedicated SEO strategy on each Portal could improve the impact of EMODnet.

    ACTION 9: Implement changes to conform with the Visual Identity Guidelines as much as possible. Consult the SEO document prepared by Trust-IT and follow the suggestions where it is possible to increase portals' visibility (thematic lots; Next SC Meeting)  

    New agenda Item: Presentation of the European Atlas of the Seas (EAS) – Pascal Derycke

    Pascal Derycke presented the mock-ups of the EAS and the new functionalities (print, share, export, embedded). The tool will be available in all EU languages and will provide flexibility to increase the number of layers. The launch of the EAS is due for the beginning of June and the target user is the general public.

    Portal coordinators were invited to identify and make available relevant data layers that could feed into the EAS.

    1.1Day 2 – Thursday 22 March 09:00-18:00

    Minor adjustments on the agenda: item 9 was being moved just before lunch, item 11 was being moved on Friday 23 March and items 12 & 13 were postponed to the next Steering Committee.

    Agenda Item 10: Short updates from the EMODnet thematic projects – Thematic Portals coordinators

    Each coordinator presented an update about their Thematic Portal, with a focus on how to engage with the private sector and with RSCs.

    In general, collaboration between the Portals and RSCs has increased but continuous efforts remain key. The Portal coordinators are aware that many business users are using EMODnet but they do not always know what they are using the data for. All Portals will include feedback and contact forms to capture usage.

    Geology – Henry Vallius

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • EMODnet maps (in reports, scientific journals) should have a common layout or design as much as possible  (where to put the EMODnet logo, its size and shape, titles, subtitles, scale bars, menus, N-S arrow, frames, fonts).
    • For printed promotion materials, it is important to provide high-resolution images that are not screenshots. The Secretariat will ask all portals to provide at least a few HR images.
    • Approximately 1/3 of the data on the Portal are collected by companies, but much of the data are restricted. There are some commercial users of EMODnet geological data (Pipelines, Shell, wind farm) but EMODnet Geology does not have clear figures. Traditionally, EMODnet Geology does not have strong links with the private sector but there is a desire to engage more with them (e.g. gas pipelines in the North Sea).

    ACTION 10: Develop proposal to present EMODnet maps in a uniform way in printed and online papers (where to put the EMODnet logo, the scale bar, which size, etc.) (Trust-IT; Before summer 2018)

    Biology – Simon Claus

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • EMODnet Biology does not know exactly if their data are used by people doing environmental impact assessment (e.g. construction of a new building). Approximately 10% of the users state “Assessment” as purpose for downloading data or products. In the future, EMODnet Biology will ask for more details (why, which company, etc.).
    • The Secretariat will help EMODnet Biology to promote the Atlas of Marine Life, which will be ready by end of 2018.
    • EMODnet Biology does not have a lot of data regarding migration routes. Biological marine data are difficult to obtain for share because they take more effort to collect and data holders have less desire to share. DG MARE will facilitate the contact with BirdLife to assess their interest in providing data.
    • OSPAR is not interested in data products but other people might be interested. The OSPAR ICG-COBAM (Intersessional Correspondence Group on COordinated Biodiversity Assessment and Monitoring) appreciate the EMODnet biology methodology and the products but were not confident to use assessments based on products they have not created themselves.

    ACTION 11: Contact BirdLife to see if there is an interest in providing data to EMODnet Biology (DGMARE & EMODnet Biology; as soon as possible)

    Physics – Antonio Novellino

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • Some discussions took place to make EMODnet Physics the in situ component of Copernicus to avoid duplication of efforts. EMODnet Physics will be mentioned in Copernicus's data catalogue. Efforts to do the same with chemical data are beginning.
    • Some of the Physics maps could be available in the European Atlas of the Seas (e.g. Impulse Noise Registry).
    • EMODnet Physics provides data providers with monthly reports to show how their data are used, how many clicks and views they have, etc. The other portals are not doing this for many reasons:  the data providers are already part of the team and part of the communication loop (Chemistry & Bathymetry), most of the providers are silent and passive (Human Activities) and/or limited contributions from data providers (Seabed Habitats).

    Seabed Habitats – Elly Hill

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • EMODnet Seabed Habitats have a positive engagement with all RSCs, except for the Barcelona Convention with whom they have less contact. Alessandro Pititto will provide a contact to Elly Hill.
    • Efforts are made to engage with the private sector and to develop a more user-oriented approach in identifying key stakeholders. This approach will be supported by a communication plan with tailored messages for business. The Secretariat and the Portals can share learning and material to engage more with business users.

    Chemistry – Alessandra Giorgetti

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • DG MARE can facilitate the communication between the Commission services involved in SDG projects and EMODnet Chemistry.  
    • The primary clients of EMODnet Chemistry are public bodies. It is difficult at first to see the immediate use of the data by the private sector. While the main focus until now has been on serving MSFD actors, now EMODnet Chemistry understands the importance of reaching out to companies. The EMODnet Italy Day will focus on industries and aquaculture.
    • The Checkpoints reported the unavailability of products regarding nitrification. EMODnet Chemistry has to look deeper into nitrification data to reach an appropriate resolution in time. The products can be made based on in-situ data. Collaboration with EAA is ongoing on facilitating reporting on nutrient concentrations for the MSFD under the umbrella of DG Environment’s – Task Group on data (TG DATA).
    • Except in case of specific needs (e.g. Marine litter map), it is always better to contact the Secretariat first before communicating Portals’ achievements to DG MARE (or at least simultaneously).
    • A question was raised in order to use the term “micro plastic” instead of “micro litter”.

    ACTION 12: Investigate relevance and impact of EMODnet and EMODnet Chemistry to achieve SDG 14 (DGMARE & EMODnet Chemistry)

    Agenda Item 9:  Communication and Stakeholder Engagement Strategy Phase III – Andrée-Anne Marsan

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • The Secretariat asked for feedback to develop an Infographic on societal and economic relevance of EMODnet. A brainstorm followed where the following suggestions were offered
      1. Include concrete examples to make the general idea more understandable
      2. Try to focus on success stories around challenge areas of societal impact, or use cost-benefit analysis
      3. Emphasize that global initiatives benefit greatly from the data mobilization undertaken through EMODnet at a European level.
    • A proposition of Portfolio of data products and services will be sent to the Portals to obtain their approbation. This will serve as a communication tool.
    • A question was raised about the possibility to translate communication material into national languages to reach a larger public. For the Conference in November, DG MARE will see in the contract if we can get some material translated.

    ACTION 13: Improve the flow of information between the Thematic Lots and the Secretariat via direct communication about events, use cases, new features, new products, achievements, etc. (Secretariat & Tehmatic lots; next SC Meeting)

    ACTION 14: Validate the Portfolio of data products, data coverage and data services proposed by the Secretariat (Thematic lots; April 2018)

    Following on Agenda Item 10: Short updates from the EMODnet thematic projects – Thematic Portals coordinators

    Bathymetry – Thierry Schmitt

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • The Mapping Portal will be closed by the end of June 2018. Approximately 95% of bathymetric data are already present in EMODnet Bathymetry. They will investigate how to integrate data information collected/generated by the projects Secchi disk layer and Coastal Mapping Planner.
    • They have received a lot of feedback from the helpdesk on how users are using the Portal (e.g. dredging industry). Many use bathymetry data as background map for their work.

    Human Activities – Alessandro Pititto

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • A presentation of EMODnet Human Activities was well received by the Member States expert group for MSP last week. They want to collaborate with EMODnet in further developments of the Portal.  
    • The importance of getting information about users was reiterated. Human Activities will be launching a user survey in the next week, to better understand user-needs and improve the portal. The revamping of the portal will comply with EMODnet visual identity guidelines.
    • A report on Analysis on compliance with INSPIRE was submitted to EASME; EMODnet Human Activities are prepared to meet representatives from INSPIRE to discuss a plan for action. 

    ACTION 15: Set a meeting about INSPIRE compliance between EMODnet Human Activities and EEA/DG Env. (DGMARE; April 2018)

    Agenda Item 14: Short updates from the Checkpoints – Checkpoint coordinators

    Each coordinator presented an update from the Checkpoints, with a focus on the outputs from the Checkpoints Methods Workshop and a proposal for a minimum list of indicators. 

    Atlantic – Jacques Populus

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • The list of Essential Ocean Variables (EOVs) is a good starting point, but it is a weak list (e.g. they do not consider Human activities). They have to make this list comprehensive among variables that need more effort in data collection or data assembly otherwise the outcome of the analyses are unbalanced.
    • The use of the Checkpoints tools and methodology can be implemented by external persons/projects but may require some level of guidance, support and background information.
    • The report of the Atlantic Checkpoint will be available in June. It will expose the main gaps and the analysis of the fitness for purpose of EMODnet.
    • When you have no data, it is difficult to determine if it is because this data have never been collected or because they do exist but they cannot be found. In such cases, it is difficult to recommend additional measurements or not. Reporting data unavailability is easy, but specifying the underlying cause is not always straightforward.

    Arctic - Eline van Onselen

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • Should the Checkpoints be repeated, challenged could be adjusted. The Arctic is a particular case because of the presence of Russia, and the difficulties to get access to its data.

    Black Sea – Atanas Palazov

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • Marine data in the Black Sea has been traditionally collected for scientific purposes, and that makes it less fit for purpose for industry. Eutrophication seems to be less an important problem than in the Atlantic. At the end, the results will be presented by characteristics and not only by challenges.

    18:00-18:30: Guest presentation - Joaquin Tintoré, director of SOCIB

     

    1.2Day 3 –Friday 23 March 09:00-13:00

    Minor adjustments on the agenda: item 15 has been merged with item 14 and item 16 was postponed to the next Steering Committee.

    Following on Agenda Item 14: Short updates from the Checkpoints – Checkpoint coordinators

    Baltic – Jun She

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • Some issues were raised about wind measurements that take several minutes to access, about raw data that are not openly accessible, and about the format & the poor quality of data (e.g. Phytoplankton data).
    • Bathymetry data were not easy to download. For example, there are restrictive rules in the Baltic regarding the resolution that can be used and Baltic sea DTM does not have data from Russia. EMODnet Bathymetry is trying to gather more data in the Baltic.
    • The Baltic Checkpoint has sent an abstract to OceanOBS19 about “Integration in BOOS: breaking institutional and community barriers in ocean observing (OceanOBS19)”. The EOOS conference can be one place where progress can be made for breaking barriers between the communities (Purpose, Parametric and Instrumental) in ocean observation to provide improved or new data, products and services.
    • In the context of BOOS, there is a need for dialogue between EMODnet, MSFD, RSC and ROOSs.
    • Models should be a big part of EOOS to improve forecasting at multiple time scales. EMODnet can have a crucial role in EOOS by serving the modelling community and including new data into the scene.
    • The primary focus for improvements based on the results of all Checkpoint assessments should be on making sure that existing data which are not available or easily accessible (e.g. ship movement data) become available. This is the low hanging fruit. Secondly, the focus could be on collecting more/new data to cover real gaps where data does not exist yet or where data is insufficient (e.g. alien species).
    • The Checkpoints are quality assessment frameworks on the services of EMODnet and other data providers. EMODnet and other EU data accessing systems need to have serious evaluation & quality control framework. This should be a component of the developing EOOS and something that will help policy makers to understand where we are, what are the main issues and how these could be addressed.
    • Nadia Pinardi is working on paper about the Checkpoints Methods Workshop. The results and findings of the Checkpoints will be presented at the EOOS Conference and will contribute to the EOOS assessment framework. We should think about other ways to present and promote the results of the Checkpoints. We should also publish a joint paper around the outputs of the Checkpoints in a peer-reviewed journal.

     

    ACTION 16: Draft a joint paper describing the main outputs of the Checkpoints (Secretariat with checkpoints; next SC Meeting)

    Agenda Item 11: Short updates from Data Ingestion – Dick Schaap

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • So far, Data Ingestion has received 148 submissions and 78 datasets have been published already. Unlocking private data remains a challenge and continuous efforts are made to mobilise private partners.
    • Events such as Oceanology International are very useful to engage with industry. Key is to emphasise the  benefits for companies to share their data. Providing DOI’s ay also help.
    • The Data Ingestion Portal is composed of 49 data centres with thematic leaders and national representatives in each EU country. There will be a meeting 16-17 April 2018 in Spain and each country will report on national activities, planned events, results and best practices. Portal Coordinators also contribute via their network to the Data Ingestion facility (e.g. data of producers of algae & seaweed, global power plant data, UK oil & gas industry benthos mapping data).
    • There is no data "submitters" in France and Belgium recorded in the Data Ingestion Portal. The EMODnet community should work on this.
    • It is important that all Portals combine efforts to convince more data providers and increase the number of associated partners. Any lessons learned benefit all of us. We can do a lot to help companies and we need to use the right argument. The importance is to have one private company from one sector on board (e.g. Dredging Company) to submit data and that can have an effect on the others.

    Item 17: Looking forward: EOOS Conference & Jamboree – Belén Martín Míguez & Jan-Bart Calewaert

    Main points raised during Q&A discussion:

    • The objective of EOOS is to develop a framework that allows to break barriers between sectors, stakeholders, themes & ways of observing and serve better the society. An EOOS Strategy and Implementation Plan have been developed and feedback is welcome. All Thematic Portals and Checkpoints should give feedback and contribute to them in a way to be sure they are aligned with EMODnet objectives and infrastructure. The EMODnet community should be involved in EOOS.
    • The Conference will promote the development of EOOS and present the results of the Checkpoints which is an important contribution of EMODnet in the EOOS discussion.
    • The data management part (including making sure data end up in the right infrastructure) is missing in EOOS. EMODnet should serve as the underlying data management infrastructure of EOOS. EMODnet is getting closer to Copernicus and fisheries data.
    • We should encourage people to submit successful stories and best practices instead of just talking about the problems or gaps in order to demonstrate and quantify the value of EOOS. We should promote the interlink between these separate communities. For example, we should promote how some thematic lots are working together (e.g. Cross-thematic collaboration in the development of products).
    • DG MARE is considering launching a pilot project that would offer the opportunity to proof that integrating and connecting all actors & data in the EOOS framework is key to make all data interconnected, interoperable and a concrete adding value. The pilot should focus on high impact and concrete use cases.
    • EMODnet Jamboree: The last edition in 2015 in Ostend gathered 300 people. The objective was to discuss about the future of EMODnet and its long-term sustainability. Another edition will be held in Automn 2019 for the 10th anniversary of the foundation of EMODnet. The Secretariat proposes to organise it in Belgium to facilitate the logistic but we are open to other suggestions.

    ACTION 17: Participate and disseminate information about the EOOS conference (thematic lots; continuous)

    ACTION 18: Ensure that EOOS develops fully aligned with EMODnet as its data management component (Secretariat; Continuous)

    ACTION 19: Provide feedback and assist in identification of speakers for the EOOS Conference (Thematic lots; continuous)

    Item 18: Next Steering Committee Meeting – Jan-Bart Calewaert

    The SC members agreed that the next Steering Committee meeting will be a one-day meeting on the Tuesday 20th of November in Brussels (back-to-back with the EOOS Conference).

    Item 19: Administrative and reporting issues – Jan-Bart Calewaert

    Nothing to report.

    Item 20: Wrap up and closing of the Meeting – Belén Martín Míguez

    Belén Martín Míguez presented the key elements to remember from this Steering Committee, which was a summary of the actions to undertake (see page 1 & 2 of the present minutes). The list of actions of Steering Committee meetings serve as work plan for the Steering Committee and its members. The Terms of Reference of the Steering Committee details the remit, roles and responsibility as well as the modus operandi of the Committee and exists as a living document circulated regularly and available upon request from the EMODnet Secretariat.   

    The meeting was closed at 13h10.

    Add new comment

    It is not necessary to be logged in to provide comments but in that case comments will need to go through a moderator.
    CAPTCHA
    This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.