How to decrease the total size of documents?
Often large size of a document is due to images. These images can be a direct file or attached inside a document like a Word or PDF file. Here are some ideas that can help you with reducing file sizes for various document types.
|style||border: 0px; background: white; width:85%;|
|class||max-width:80%; border-width: 1px|
Before implementing any of these following solutions, please make a backup copy of your documents.
After applying the solutions, please check the quality of the result and be sure that the documents are still readable without difficulty.
There are a lot of free online tools to compress big PDF files. You can easily find them by searching "compress PDF file" online. You can use the most convenient one for your criteria: using your language, with more or less warranty of confidentiality, and so forth.
DOC/DOCX Word document with image embedded
Recent versions of Microsoft Word have an option to compress one selected image or all images in the document. The location of this option can change from one version to another. Please consult the relevant Microsoft Word documentation or Internet sources for your specific version.
Since version 4.0, LibreOffice has the option to compress all images like Microsoft Word.
If you still have the original file you could rescan the document with a lower quality. To help you with the decision if this is an option, ask yourself:
- Do you need colour? Is grayscale or B/W enough?
- Do you need a good resolution (ppm/ppi)? Generally 300 dpi are enough for images and even less for text.
- Do you save the file in a compressed format?
- Depending of the tool you use it could be difficult to know the answer and you may need to make some different tests to compare the resulted file size.
- Please note that *.JPG is a compressed image file format.
- The output in PDF could be compressed or not (if it is not compressed, you can apply the solution above).
Remember: Any additional effect to reduce the size of your documents will also make the submission faster as less data is needed to transfer your data online.