Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

The Workshop took place in Ispra (JRC), Italy from 23.1-24.4. 2019. 45 Experts from 28 EU Countries + EC & EEA INSPIRE Coordination Team participated to the Workshop.

The main objective were:

  • Improving MS data sets accessibility via INSPIRE Geoportal by:
    • Presenting & clarifying Geoportal back-end system
    • Sharing the results of JRC assessment of the MS feedback (31x) related to the description of the MS data infrastructures in use
  • Presenting a new system for harvesting MS resources
  • Discussing proposed changes and improvements of the functionality of Geoportal & harvesting system
  • Discussing future steps (operational aspects) and the way of collaborating with MS technical experts (Helpdesk, Forum, Virtual meetings..)

Agenda

Wednesday, 23rd January 2019

TimeSessionPresentations
09:30 – 09:40   

Welcome and logistics (Robert T.)



Participants expectations for the WorkshopResults
09:40 - 10:00Workshop introduction 

-          Policy context (Joeri R. DG ENV)



-          Workshop objectives (Robert T. DG JRC)

Presentation
10:00 - 10:30 JRC Geoportal – Overview presentation of the Geoportal back-end system including the way the INSPIRE MS resources are linkedAngelo Q. 15 min. – discussion/clarification 15 min.  Presentation
10:30 - 10:50Coffee break
10:50 - 12:15Results of the MS Feedback Session 1 –  Resource linking

-          MS Feedback assessment presentation – Robert T. 5 min. - MS clarification

Presentation

-          Proposal for data-service linking simplification – Michael L. 10 min. 

Presentation

-          Proposal for a testing/resource linking validation tool – Angelo Q. 5 min.

Presentation

-          Discussion 30 min.



-          Conclusions (sli.do survey) 10 min.

Results
12:15 – 12:45 

Visitors’ Centre Guided tour


12:45 - 13:45    Lunch
13:45 – 14:30  Results of the MS Feedback Session 2 – Description of MS MD/NS systems in operations

-          MS Feedback assessment presentation - Lorena H. 15 min. – MS clarification / discussion 20 min.

Presentation

-          Conclusions (sli.do survey) 10 min.

Results
14:30 – 15.00

Geoportal helpdesk - concrete MS issues received – Angelo Q. & Davide A. 30 min.

Geoportal Helpdesk
15:00 – 15.30  

Geoportal users perspective - demo of the possible issues when trying to find, view and use MS INSPIRE data – Marco M.  15 min. – discussion 15 min.

DEMO/PRESENTATION
15:30 - 15:50    Coffee break
15:50 – 17:30   Results of the MS Feedback Session 3 – MS MD-Data-Service content organisation 

-          MS Feedback assessment presentation – Robert T. 10 min.

Presentation

-          Suggestions for organisation of data sets for publishing via MD/View/Download services – Angelo Q. 10 min.

Presentation

-          Conclusions (sli.do survey) 10 min.

Results

Thursday, 24th January 2019

TimeSessionPresentations
09:30 – 10:40Session 4 - Geoportal harvesting process 

Results of the MS Feedback Session 4 – MS suggestions for the harvesting process



-          MS Feedback assessment presentation - Davide A. 10 min.

Presentation

-          New system of harvesting MS resources for INSPIRE Geoportal – Davide A.  15 min.

Presentation

-          Discussion / Clarification 30 min



-          Conclusions (sli.do survey) 5min.

Results
10:40 - 11:00 Coffee break
11:00 - 12:30    Session 5 - INSPIRE Geoportal future development

Results of the MS Feedback Session 5 – MS suggestions for Geoportal new functionality/ improvements



-          MS Feedback assessment presentation - Daniele F. 5 min.


Presentation

-          Assessment of new Geoportal functionality proposed – Daniele F. 10 min.

Presentation

-          Discussion/clarification 30 min.



-          Conclusions (sli.do survey) 10 min.

Results
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
13:30 - 15:15    

Geoportal Helpdesk – overview presentation - Daniele F. 15 min.

Presenatation

What to do with the collected MS feedback? - proposal for developing INSPIRE SW tools open knowledge base + secure harvesting process related platform – Robert T. – 15 min. – discussion 30 min.

Results

-          Conclusions (sli.do survey) 10 min.

Results

-         AOB

Reference Validator x INSPIRE Validator 2 (Harvesting checker) - Michael L.

Presentation
15:15 - 15:45    Coffee break
15:45 - 16:30    

Wrap-up (sli.do results), future steps, conclusions - Robert T., Michael L.

Participants overall WS Assessment

Presentation

Results

Conclusions

Below are the conclusions reached during the Workshop. The progress on the actions defined will be done in the framework of the new MIWP 2019.2 Action i.e via MIG / MIG-T meetings.

Complete Sli.do results taken during the Workshop - results-file 

1) Geoportal back-end & data-service linking

  • Back-end better understood
  • Data-service linking harvesting checker is already more flexible

Actions: 

  • JRC: Update the data-service linking doc. and communicate widely (MIG-T, MIG)
  • JRC: Start testing of simplified approach for data-service linking
    • MS: Interested MS to provide PoC to Robert: IT, CZ, NL, LT, PL, FR, SE, SK, CY, EL, ES
    • Process (Feb-Jun 2019)
    • Kick-off meeting (virtual)
    • Participants to develop example implementations
    • Meeting to compare implementations and discuss open issues (also on the geoportal side)
    • Update/extend discussion paper based on testing results
    • Report to MIG in June
  • JRC to develop Resource Linking Testing Tool (MS to test)
    • JRC will investigate integration with Reference Validator

2) Improving data/service organisation for publishing 

  • Focus on organization of data for download/view and authentication
  • Open data? à wait for Art. 17 follow-up

Actions: 

  • JRC to summarise good practices and technical solutions in the Workshop report
  • ACTION MS to propose additional good practices

3) Harvesting - new system 

  • Proposed harvesting console appreciated, more feedback after testing
  • Regular harvesting should be offered (monthly)

Actions: 

  • Priority improvements: metadata 2.0 support and incremental harvesting, and new simplified data-service linking approach
  • For both issues, JRC will contact MS for suggestions, examples

4) Geoportal - new functionalities

  • New Geoportal UI - appreciated 

Actions: 

  • JRC to work on priority improvements: INSPIRE analytics, language support, indexing by search engines (link to MIG-T activity)
  • JRC to request suggestions for API and language support

5) Geoportal Helpdesk

Actions: 

  • All MS to analyse their own helpdesk issues and identify potential FAQ issues
  • JRC to send out instructions (tags, …)

6) Future meetings / group organisation etc.

  • Physical meeting is useful (~ 1/year)
    • also include presentations from MS (success stories, issues)
  • Ad-hoc virtual meetings for dedicated issues, e.g.
    • harvesting
    • development of new features
    • data-service linking
    • success stories from MS

Actions: 

  • JRC: All documents to be published on the MIG collaboration space
  • JRC: to keep the mailing list of MS catalogue PoCs

EU countries feedback - Results of the Survey 

Before the Geoportal Workshop a Survey “Survey on the INSPIRE Geoportal Workshop for MS experts 23-24 January 2019” was prepared and launched (December 2018) to get a structured feedback from EU countries related to:  

  • Technical description of MS data/service infrastructure in use
  • Organizational description of MS infrastructures in use
  • Suggestions for improvements of the Geoportal (Harvesting / UI)

As background documentation JRC provided 
Geoportal workflow for establishing links between data sets and network services
Individual report per country with resource linking issues + examples of good services (for all types) 

In total 31 answers were collected from 30 EU countries (2x from Belgium, 0 from Bulgaria)
The complete JRC Assessment of the EU Countries feedback - Results

The EU Country responses - Zip file

  • No labels