FARNET
Fisheries Areas Network

Good Practice Short Story

Solar energy, lighting up a remote landing site

A local fisherman takes the initiative to explore how solar lighting might improve safety and make working hours more flexible at the remote pier where he lands his fish.
Our new solar lighting has made a huge difference to local fishermen. The safety aspect of having a light at our remote pier is invaluable.
John Orpen, small-scale fisherman

During winter months in Bere Island, on the south-west tip of Ireland, daylight can be in short supply.  John Orpen, a small-scale fisherman, found himself restricted to landing his catch only during day light hours as his remote landing site had no lighting.

He had the idea that a solar light might be the solution and so he approached the local South FLAG for advice and funding.  The FLAG put John in touch with a local electrical engineer to discuss the specific requirements the fisherman had.

The engineer was able to design a solar battery powered light system that would be independent of the mains connection, is activated by a fob or monitor sensor and will last for 20 years. Another local engineer fabricated the housing for the battery, solar light post and plinth to withstand the salt water and weather conditions of the west coast of Ireland.  

The new light system has greatly improved safety and working conditions for the fisherman and extended his working hours.  A template has been created that can easily be rolled out to other remote areas and the project provided work for local engineers in a remote coastal community.

Funding

Budget €4 491,9
EU contribution €1 796,95
  • EMFF: €1 796,95
Other public contribution €1 796,95
  • National: €1 796,95
Private contribution €898

Contact details

FLAG Contacts

Ms. Brenda O''Riordan
Ireland
Publication date: 
24/08/2018
PDF Version