FARNET
Fisheries Areas Network

Good Practice Short Story

French FLAG helps in the fight against the effects of COVID-19

As fishing and aquaculture continue to suffer a considerable loss of turnover, a small group of fishers and a fish farmer volunteered to deliver fresh fish to local restaurateurs who, in turn, prepare free-of-charge dishes for hospital staff and people in need.
We are happy to work across all sectors of activity to combat the crisis and to be able to show the importance of small-scale fisheries and aquaculture in our territories and how they can support their local areas
Céline Casamata, project manager at CDPMEM 06

The project, known as, Aqua-Solidaire, was set up by the local fishing committee (CDPMEM 06) in partnership with the APAM association and with the support of the Estérel Côte d'Azur FLAG. The initiative has enabled fishers to identify trusted restaurateurs who are suffering during the crisis, to help them partially come back to business. The restaurants can take advantage of this initiative to test recipes linked to the production of a range of processed products.

As the dishes are free of charge to their beneficiaries, fishers and restaurant owners receive EMFF funding from the FLAG to compensate the loss of income. This project not only demonstrates the unity and solidarity of the fishing industry towards those who are on the front-line of the pandemic, but also highlights the commitment of the fishing community and their importance in the economy and food security of the local area.

A second component of this project will be the use of branded ‘Aqua-Solidaire’ cool bags, when delivering fish to customers. A project flyer will be included highlighting the commitment of the fishers and fish farmers to support the local community in difficult times. It is hoped that in the longer term the supplying of cool bags will play a part in reducing the number of single-use plastic bags.  This project will contribute to the territorial food project (PAT) approach and to the development of local food networks and cool bags will continue to be used for deliveries until December 2020.

Thanks to the effective communication activities of the FLAG, including the broad dissemination of a press release for the project’s launch, the project received wide media coverage in the local, national and international press. It was also recently broadcast on Euronews. Aqua-Solidaire is a good example of communication work that has paid off. Other FLAGs can follow this example. Remember, build a media list, send your press releases to your network and target outlets that reach your audience!

Funding

Budget €53 703,9
EU contribution €21 626,5
  • EMFF: €21 626,5
Other public contribution €21 626,5
  • Regional: €21 626,5
Private contribution €10 450,9

Contact details

FLAG Contacts

Ms. Claire Lemoine
France
Publication date: 
03/07/2020
PDF Version