FARNET
Fisheries Areas Network

Good Practice Short Story

Legends of Kitka: videogamers, get ready to fish!

ID: 
GPS001-FI06
In 2013, to limit the proliferation of “fake” products using the name of the local fish, “Kitkan Viisas” vendace, fishermen from Kuusamo, Northern Finland, teamed up to secure its listing in the EU’s Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) scheme. To further promote this unique product, a web and mobile video game, called the Legends of Kitka, was also developed.
The game has received such a warm welcome and the future is looking good. It has had a positive effect, both on fish marketing and cooperation with the Ruka-Kuusamo tourism sector. There has also been a spin-off, with the creation of the next version of the game, with social partnership, monetizing and other elements. This project has been a first step for us in terms of taking advantage of new digital possibilities. We are happy to share our experience and help other FLAGs that are considering going digital.
Juha Korhonen, FLAG President

As part of a wider product development and communication project supported by Axis 4, the Kainuu Koillismaa FLAG (FI06 - programming period 2007-2013) teamed up with a business incubator, local fishermen and a local game company to develop the “Legends of Kitka”. The game’s players take on the persona of a Finnish fisherman, exploring the lakes of the Kainuu Koillismaa FLAG area. They learn about local species, how to process and sell their catch, and find new fishing grounds. User friendly and graphically attractive, the game is also available in English and Russian, helping to reach out to the million plus tourists that visit the area each year.

The project employed four people for three months, working on the game’s development, and on raising awareness within the local fishing industry and among target groups that would have been difficult to reach otherwise.

So far, the game has been downloaded over 10 000 times on Android, and is available on Apple iOS. As of October 2015, approximately 17000 players have used the game’s web version, mostly coming from Finland, Russia, Georgia, Ukraine and Spain.

 

 
 

Funding

Budget €139 225
EU contribution €9 200
  • EMFF: €9 200
Other public contribution €0
Private contribution €130 025

 

 
 

Organisations

Team Jolly Roger
Naturpolis LTD

Visuals

Contact details

FLAG Contacts

Mr. Tero Nieminen
+358504340150
Finland

Organisation Contacts

Team Jolly Roger
Mr. Tero Nieminen
+358504340150
Finland

Organisation Contacts

Team Jolly Roger
Ms. Juha Korhonen
+358504340150
Finland
Publication date: 
17/11/2015
PDF Version