The volunteer will be able to improve these following skills;
1. research skills in the field of community development and alternative education,
2. broadening teaching skills together with community members,
3. improving management skills in conducting training/ public discussion/ forums among international volunteers, local public and private organization, local villagers and other related stakeholders,
4. increasing contacts and in-depth information with local public and private sectors relating to community development and alternative education fields,
5. improving personal skills as per interests of each volunteer. Working and Living Conditions
The volunteer will be working and living in Kok Payom village, Satun province in southern region of Thailand. Kok payom village has been hosting international volunteers continuously since 2010 to work with villagers on community development and alternative education fields. Prior to that, DaLaa cooperated with Kok Payom village for at least 3 years before conducting our trial international voluntary activities with the villagers in this village. Throughout these past years, the villagers have shown their motivation, dedication and willingness to improve the conditions of their villagers in many aspects, such as environment, health, economics and especially education for their young generations as well as for adults in the village. Recently, Kok Payom has become a model for local community in sustainable development, natural resource reservation and community-run alternative education, for example.
As the majority of villagers of Kok Payom are Muslim, the volunteer should learn about and respect their life-style and religious belief and practices. Women should dress modestly although you will discover when you live there that the villagers are quite flexible. Volunteer is restricted from pork and alcohol consumption while staying inside the village.
Volunteer will be working closely with project host, project coordinator, other international volunteers and villagers. A small working area with internet for research activities and personal accommodation will be provided. While serving as volunteer, riding motorcycle or driving is prohibited. However, a bicycle will be provided for volunteer.
Volunteer will be provided with personal room with lock, close to the project coordinator’s house, where volunteer will be using as a working and meeting place.
The village is close to public facilities, such as banks, hospitals, supermarkets, pharmacies, internet café, police station, and so on.
Holidays: holidays should be respectful of the project and villagers. Apart from regular holidays, extra holidays can be negotiable and should be agreed in advance by the team.
Location: Kok Payom village, Langu district, Satun province (south of Thailand)