Second Programme of Community action in the Field of Health 2008-2013
Improving Access to HIV/TB Testing for marginalized groups [ Imp.Ac.T]
The general objective of the project is to broaden the access to HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis (TB) testing, prevention, treatment and care for vulnerable groups, such as intravenous drug users (IDUs) and...
The general objective of the project is to broaden the access to HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis (TB) testing, prevention, treatment and care for vulnerable groups, such as intravenous drug users (IDUs) and migrants DUs.
The project`s specific objectives are:
- to develop a framework and model to improve the effectiveness of HIV and TB testing and counselling among IDUs and migrants DUs;
- to increase the percentage of IDUs and migrants having access to HIV and TB testing;
- to ensure that people living with HIV and TB receive treatment for both conditions;
- to promote healthier ways of life and risk reduction among drug users and migrants;
- to assess the effectiveness of street HIV and TB testing in terms of proportion of new infection identified.
The project will use outreach work as a tool for promoting a new kind of provider-initiated counselling and testing, specifically tailored to hard-to-reach groups. In this way, the project will contribute also to reduce the gap between drug users/migrants and health care services and to reduce inequalities in the access to treatment.
Start date: 01/09/2010 - End date: 01/12/2012
Call: Promote Health (Hp-2009)
Topic: Sexually transmitted diseases