First Programme of Community action in the field of public health (2003-2008)
European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training, Cohort 9 [EPIET]
As a complement to the theoretical training that most epidemiologists receive in academic settings in EU, EPIET fellows undergo a two year field assignment devoted to practical (in service, learning b...
As a complement to the theoretical training that most epidemiologists receive in academic settings in EU, EPIET fellows undergo a two year field assignment devoted to practical (in service, learning by doing) epidemiological training. It is closely supervised by senior epidemiologists at national European Public Health Institutes in charge of the surveillance and control of communicable diseases. Each fellow is sent to an host institute of an EU member state different from its country of origin.
The aims of the programme are:
- to strengthen the surveillance and control of communicable diseases in EU Member States and at Community level through the training of suitable scientists;
- to develop response capacity at national, European Community and global level to meet communicable disease threats through rapid and effective field investigation and response;
- to develop an expanding European network of public health epidemiologists, using standard methods, and sharing common objectives;
- to contribute to the continued professional development of senior epidemiologists who act as coordinators or field supervisors within the EPIET programme
- to establish a pool of experts available to respond to public health threats in and beyond EU.
Start date: 18/09/2003 - End date: 18/09/2005
Call: Health Threats (Ht 2003)