The Association of European Cancer Leagues (ECL) provides a unique platform as the only organisation with the mission of uniting, at the European level, national and regional cancer leagues to achieve a cancer-free Europe. In coherence with the FPA 2018-2021, this SGA focuses on the core activities to be implemented in 2018 in respect of the following strategic objectives:
1) Informing policy to ensure cancer control remains high on the political agenda;
2) Promoting the European Code Against Cancer (ECAC) as the essential tool for cancer prevention;
3) Supporting leagues in the implementation of the Council Recommendation on Cancer Screening;
4) Uniting leagues to advocate for equal access to treatment, support, and rehabilitation for cancer patients;
5) Advocating for the European Guide for quality improvement in cancer control to be mainstreamed in national cancer plans.
In concrete terms, these objectives will be achieved by: the organisation of a policy dialogue during the European Week against Cancer (EWAC), and development of toolkit to facilitate the roll-out of this format across the EU during EWAC; increasing ECL actions on organised cancer screening by publishing a lay version of the recent EU cancer screening report, and developing training for cancer leagues in this area; promotion of the ECAC by networking cancer leagues, and enhancing the role of the ECL Youth Ambassadors in these efforts; publication of guidelines by the Patient Support Working Group and Access to Medicines Task Force of ECL; and ongoing secretariat function of the successful MEPs against Cancer group of the European Parliament. In addition, ECL will host two trainees from the EU Solidarity Corps, and develop a process to encourage the wider participation of cancer leagues in this initiative.
This proposal has relevance to the annual work programme through its focus on health determinants and health promotion, boosting cancer control, and equitable access to healthcare.