Main objective: To promote local and integrated responses to the drug consumption phenomena.
- To create a network of transfer of know-how gathering cities and NGOs (create a network of transfer of know-how and information based on a partnership between the European networks of the civil society and a pilot network of European cities. This network established the conditions of a sustainable development remaining at the end of the project);
- To involve the concerned actors (initiate and/or reinforce at the local level the involvement of the concerned actors in the design and the implementation of the responses. This objective was to develop starting from the resources and specific know-how of the European networks of the civil society);
- To implement local coalitions (establish local coalitions in recipients cities by a system of twinning with pilot cities, the pilot cities supporting the recipients cities).
Promoting health and prevent disease through addressing health determinants across all policies and activities.
Area of activity : Drugs. Strand 3 : Health Determinants.
Among the different institutional levels, the cities are in the front line to respond to the drug consumption phenomena. They have the responsibility to coordinate the actions of the different local actors implicated in the drugs field: actors of the prevention, harm reduction and care fields, social services, peer projects, police force, justice, associations of inhabitants, club owners, party organisers... The cities which implement local and integrated coalitions in order to manage in a integrated way the drug issues, feel isolated and need transfer of comparable know-how from other cities.
The project "Democracy, Cities & Drugs", is an alliance of a network of 300 European cities with organizations issued from 7 European networks of professionals and NGOs, aiming at promoting local and integrated responses to the drugs consumption phenomena.
Based on the comparison between the experiences of a pilot network of cities and NGOs, the project intended to support and implement local coalition as well as to set up a sustainable network of transfer of know-how.
The project use the different orientations developed by the different networks: scientific (network of professionals), technical (NGOs) and political (Cities). The project was divided in different phases and steps, each one being prepared and evaluated at the time of the seminars, coordination meetings and conferences.
- Phase 1: Diagnostic, Conception, Experimentation, Validation:
1. Collection, comparison, diagnostic of the experiences and practices;
2. Conception of common guidelines, methodology, reference frames - Starting conference;
3. Experimentation of the guidelines and methodology - training, internships;
- Phase 2: Implementation, evaluation, diffusion - Conference of implementation:
1. Implementation in recipients cities androgrammes - twinning, training, internships;
2. Evaluation of the implementation - Conference of dissemination;
3. Dissemination of the results.
Risk: Changing of political majority in a city.
Work package (WP) n° 1 – Co-ordination ; WP n° 2 – Pilot network of cities ; WP n° 3 – Consensus ; WP n° 4 – Methodology ; WP n° 5 – Diffusion ; WP n° 6 – Democracy, cities and safer dance ; WP n° 7 – Democracy, cities and drug services ; WP n° 8 – CEEC Specificity ; WP n° 9 – Treatment professionals meet policy makers ; WP n° 9 – Treatment professionals meet policy makers ; WP n° 10 – Drugs and minorities.